Many small businesses know what they could be doing to improve their organic search engine rankings in Google but they just aren’t doing them. This could be down to lack of time or motivation or not quite knowing how to start. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve heard a website owner say “I know I should be blogging but…”.
So for those small businesses that don’t have a massive budget to spend on SEO here are some ways that you can help yourself or enhance the SEO efforts that you are already making.
- Get Blogging – I really can’t stress how important it is to start and maintain a blog. The first post is always the hardest and takes the longest but once you get used to writing it will become much easier – just get started. The style of a blog post is informal so you don’t have to worry about it being a great literary work, just make sure the grammar and spelling are accurate. Tip 1: most website hosts will set up a WordPress blog on your site – usually for free. Tip 2: Write a post at least once a week.
- Wherever you blog is hosted make sure some new content from it is shown on your home page – this is easily achieved using an RSS feed. Google will love the fresh new content and your potential customers will love the advice, tips, news or other information you provide relevant to your business.
- Social Bookmark all the blog posts that you write from sites such as Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon etc. These social signals have a direct impact on your rankings.
- Make sure you have a listing in all the reputable online business directories such as Yelp, TouchLocal, ThomsonLocal, HotFrog, 192, Scoot, Yell etc. and that it is up-to-date.
- Setup and maintain a business Facebook Page and LinkedIn account – these will be used to build up followers, drive traffic to your main site and naturally increase the links to your main site which will, in turn, improve your rankings.
Of course, there is more to SEO than these factors, particularly in a very competitive business sector, but these are easy to implement ways in which you can help yourself to help your search engine rankings.